iPhones are expensive, and in order to maintain their functionality, you have to invest in high-quality accessories. One challenge we face is that Apple’s Lightning cables are known for being easily damaged, lasting less, and tend to be pricier compared to many third-party alternatives. That’s the main reason why many people choose MFi iPhone charger cables. MFI means “made for iPhone,” products made by third-party manufacturers and compatible with Apple products.
Apple gives licenses to manufacturers after approving their compatible products for Apple devices. These third-party MFI iPhone charging cables are 100% safe to use. If you’re not satisfied with the Cable that came with your Apple device or if you simply need a spare, we’ve examined numerous charging cables to identify some of the best iPhone charging cables for different requirements.
What to Look for Before Buying an iPhone Charging Cable
When looking for the best iPhone charging cables, look for the key features that are essential for a seamless charging experience. The ideal Cable should offer a blend of durability, fast charging capabilities, and compatibility with various Apple devices.
As time passes, your Cable is bound to get damaged from bending, tugging, and tossing into your bag. If you’ve had an Apple charger for over six months, you’ve likely experienced this. To enhance durability, opt for Kevlar or braided nylon cables, providing protection against snags and fraying while maintaining flexibility for easy bending.
iPhone charging cables come in various lengths, ranging from one to ten feet. If you’re charging at your desk or in your car, a shorter cable is likely sufficient since your phone is usually within easy reach. However, in situations like a busy coffee shop where you might need to move around, a longer cable provides the flexibility to charge your phone while allowing you to roam a bit further from the power outlet.
Introduced in 2005, the Made for iPod program allowed third-party manufacturers to certify that their accessories were genuinely compatible with iPhones, avoiding any guesswork. Over time, it evolved into “MFi,” covering certification for iPods, iPhones, and iPads. When purchasing non-Apple accessories for your Apple products, always check for MFi certification. This ensures the accessory has received Apple’s approval, guaranteeing compatibility with your devices.
The Best iPhone Charger Cable at a Glance
If you’re in the market for the best iPhone charger cables in 2023, you don’t need to opt for the $20 plain-white cord from the Apple store. Explore the options below that are more sturdy, charge your iPhone rapidly, and come with Apple MFi certification.
The best Charger cable for USB-C ports – Anker USB-C to 90 Degree Lightning Cable
Consider the Anker USB-C to 90-degree Lightning Cable (6 feet) if you prefer a right-angle plug. This quick-charging Lightning cable features a sleek design, user-friendly housings, and a lifetime warranty. Additionally, it includes a hook-and-loop cable tie to keep it neatly organized.
It is also available in 3 feet and is perfect for you if you prefer a Lightning cable with a right-angle plug. It’s ideal for reducing strain when holding your iPhone for activities like movie watching or video chats, giving the plug-to-port connection a sleek appearance. It is MFi-certified, supports up to 18 W of power for rapid charging, and is offered in black or white.
The Cable comes with a convenient hook-and-loop tie for easy storage, and its user-friendly design, complete with a round-edged holder and textured plastic, ensures a comfortable grip during plugging or unplugging. Encased in a slim, flexible rubber sheath, this Cable also has the added assurance of a lifetime warranty. The 90-degree plug allows the Cable to sit flush against the bottom of the phone, facilitating easy holding on a flat surface while charging.
- The 90-degree plug reduces strain and props up your iPhone efficiently.
- Supports up to 18 W for quick charging with MFi certification.
- Backed by a lifetime warranty, it has a handy tie for organized storage.
- The Cable is not as lengthy as some alternatives.
Nomad USB-C to Lightning Cable with Kevlar
If you’re seeking a cable with a highly durable exterior, this one’s for you. Designed for fast charging, it’s lengthy enough to stretch across most couches, and its robust sheath and housings make it exceptionally sturdy – perhaps even damage-proof. It is available in both 10 and 5 feet options.
Ideal for those seeking an extra-long, high-speed charging cable, the Nomad USB-C to Lightning Cable with Kevlar (10 feet) is a standout choice. It efficiently charges iPhones, AirPods, and other Lightning-powered devices at top speed when paired with an 18 W USB-C wall charger, all while being MFi-certified. The Cable’s impressive 10-foot length ensures it can easily reach across most couches.
What sets this Nomad cable apart is its exceptionally rugged construction. Unlike standard nylon cables, it features a thick, double-braided Kevlar sheath, making it less prone to wear and snags. The included rubber cable tie is robust, with thick ridges ensuring a secure coil. The plastic housings are sturdy and flexible, and the metal connectors fit snugly in most Lightning and USB-C ports, similar to Anker’s PowerLine II cables.
While Nomad’s five-year warranty may not match Anker’s lifetime coverage, it still surpasses the typical cable warranty.
- The Nomad cable’s tough Kevlar sheath makes it durable, resisting wear and snags.
- Its 10-foot length easily reaches across couches or other areas for convenient charging.
- MFi-certified ensures quick charging for iPhones and AirPods when used with an 18 W USB-C wall charger.
- Due to its length and sturdiness, the Nomad cable may be less compact for on-the-go storage in pockets or purses.
- It comes only in black, with a tactical-gear appearance that might not appeal to everyone. Additionally, it’s pricier compared to other Lightning cables we’ve tested.
Anker PowerLine II USB-C to Lightning Cable
The Anker PowerLine II USB-C to Lightning Cable is a long and durable cable with MFi certification. Its sturdy construction is comfortable to hold and comes with a lifetime warranty. It can charge most iPhones fully in approximately an hour when paired with the appropriate wall charger.
This Lightning Cable is an excellent pick for those who want a durable and lengthy cable that charges quickly. It comes in 3 feet, 6 feet, and a generous 10 feet, all MFi-certified for top performance with Apple devices. This Cable charges most iPhones up to three times faster than regular USB A Lightning cables, especially when used with a USB-C port delivering at least 18 watts.
The smooth and grippy rubber covering ensures durability, and the cable has strong housing for secure connections. The 10-foot version is perfect for distant charging, while the 3-foot and 6-foot options are compact. Available in black or white (dark green for the 6-foot version), all backed by Anker’s lifetime warranty. The included hook-and-loop tie adds convenience and keeps things organized, making this Cable a versatile and trustworthy choice for charging.
- Charges iPhones up to three times faster with a USB-C port delivering at least 18 watts.
- Sturdy design with a smooth rubber sheath and MFi certification for lasting performance.
- Comes in 3 feet, 6 feet, and 10 feet for versatile charging needs.
- Not as slim as some competitors, including Apple’s Lightning cables, although its superior performance compensates for the slight increase in bulk.
Anker PowerLine III USB-C to Lightning Cable
Consider the Anker PowerLine III USB-C to Lightning Cable (1 foot) if you need a short cable. This quick-charging Lightning cable is only a foot long, and its easy-to-grip design makes it convenient to plug and unplug. It is supported by a lifetime warranty. You can also find it in lengths of 3 feet and 6 feet.
This quick-charging Lightning cable is just a foot long and has easy-to-grip housings for smooth plugging and unplugging. It includes a hook-and-loop cable tie for organized storage and is backed by a lifetime warranty. Suitable for connecting small devices with USB-C and Lightning ports less than a foot apart.
The Cable is MFi-certified, ensuring compatibility with Apple devices, and can deliver top-speed charging of up to 18 W with a powerful charger. Its slim, flexible sheath, sturdy build, and grippy texture add to its durability. It is available in black and white.
- Speedy charging with up to 18 W power support.
- Slim, flexible, and grippy for long-lasting use.
- Backed by a lifetime warranty, includes a convenient cable tie for neat storage.
- The Cable is longer than we’d prefer for this category, but it’s challenging to find Lightning cables meeting our criteria under a foot. Alternatively, if maximum charging speed isn’t essential, we suggest a 4-inch Lightning cable for USB-A ports.
The best Lightning cable for USB-A ports: Nomad USB-A to Lightning Cable with Kevlar
Consider the Nomad USB-A to Lightning Cable with Kevlar (10 feet) if you seek a robust exterior. Although it charges a bit slower than its USB-C counterpart, it matches the same length of 10 feet. The Cable’s durability is evident in its Kevlar sheath, hard-plastic housings, and overall tough build quality.
This cable is perfect for those looking for a cable as long as any we’ve tested with robust construction surpassing the Anker PowerLine II USB-A to Lightning Cable. This MFi-certified Cable boasts a 10-foot length, perfect for spanning a couch, king-size bed, or even a small room.
Its tough exterior features thick double-braided Kevlar, similar to another recommended Nomad cable, and includes a reliable rubber cable tie for neat storage. The sturdy and flexible plastic housings and snug-fitting metal connectors ensure compatibility with most Lightning and USB-A ports. While its five-year warranty is shorter than Anker’s lifetime warranty, it still exceeds the typical cable coverage.
- The Nomad USB-A to Lightning Cable (10 feet) offers ample length, reaching across couches, beds, or small rooms.
- With a thick, double-braided Kevlar exterior, sturdy plastic housings, and snug-fitting metal connectors, it ensures durability.
- Backed by a five-year warranty, providing extended coverage compared to many cables on the market.
- This Cable, like all Lightning cables for USB-A ports, can’t deliver the fastest charge.
- Its thick sheath makes it less convenient to pack in a pocket or purse.
- It comes exclusively in black, has a love-it-or-hate-it aesthetic, and is pricier than most tested cables.
- The Total Phase Advanced Cable Tester detected a DC-resistance error, a common finding in many tested cables.
- Most people are unlikely to notice the slight power loss indicated by the error.
Anker PowerLine II USB-A to Lightning Cable
The Anker PowerLine II USB-A to Lightning Cable (10 feet) stands out as the top Lightning cable for USB-A ports. Although it charges a bit slower than our USB-C pick, it shares similar qualities: MFi certification, sturdy construction, comfortable grip, and the convenience of a lifetime warranty. Its 10-foot length easily spans from a wall outlet to a nightstand, couch, or desk.
It is the best choice for those without access to USB-C chargers, power banks, or devices but who don’t mind a slightly slower charge. It is stoo MFi-certified and guarantees top charging speeds and USB 2.0 data transfer rates with Apple devices.
Available in various lengths, the 1-foot and 3-foot versions are compact for portability, the 6-foot version is ideal for reaching from a wall outlet to a desk, and the 10-foot version is perfect for hard-to-reach outlets. It has a smooth and grippy exterior and a convenient cable tie, and the housings are comfortable to hold. Available in black, white, red, and blue, all backed by Anker’s lifetime warranty and priced competitively.
- Available in 1-foot, 3-foot, 6-foot, and 10-foot configurations, catering to various needs from portability to reaching distant outlets.
- Guaranteed compatibility and top charging speeds (up to 12 W) with Apple devices, ensuring optimal performance.
- The Cable features a smooth yet grippy exterior, providing both comfort and secure handling during plugging and unplugging.
- Comes with a hook-and-loop cable tie for easy and organized coiling, enhancing portability and storage.
- Available in black and white for all configurations, with additional red and blue options for the 6-foot version, allowing users to choose according to preference.
- The Cable doesn’t deliver the fastest charge, performing slower compared to USB-C–to–Lightning cables.
- Total Phase Advanced Cable Tester reported a signal-integrity error during testing.
- Signal-integrity errors were common in cables longer than 3 feet due to the longer travel distance for power and data.
- The impact on charging or data-transfer speeds is likely to be minor and inconspicuous for most users.
Anker PowerLine USB-A to Lightning Cable
Consider the Anker PowerLine USB-A to Lightning Cable (4 inches) if you need a short cable. While it charges a bit slower than USB-C cables, its 4-inch length makes it perfect for connecting two nearby devices.
Ideal for those wanting an ultra-short cable to link two small devices placed side by side or stacked, the Anker PowerLine USB-A to Lightning Cable (4 inches) is a great choice. MFi-certified like all our picks, it ensures performance comparable to Apple-branded cables.
The slim and flexible sheath allows bending for charging two closely stacked devices, while the sturdily built housings with rounded edges and a grippy texture provide durability. With firm connections and minimal wiggling, this Cable is budget-friendly (a two-pack costs under $20) and backed by an 18-month warranty from Anker.
- Ideal for connecting two small devices side by side or stacked, making it super-short at just 4 inches.
- MFi-certified, ensuring performance comparable to Apple-branded cables.
- A slim and flexible sheath allows bending for charging two small, stacked devices.
- Sturdily built housings with rounded edges and a grippy texture for durability.
- Firm connections with minimal wiggling were observed when plugged into various devices.
- One of the least expensive models tested, with a two-pack costing less than $20.
- Backed by an 18-month warranty from Anker.
- The Cable, like all Lightning cables for USB-A ports, doesn’t provide the fastest charge.
- Limited color availability, as it comes only in black.
- Lacks a cable tie for organized storage.
- While not tested for USB-C ports, its compact size may not be matched by USB-C alternatives.
Anker USB-A to 90-degree Lightning Cable (6 feet)
Consider the Anker USB-A to 90-Degree Lightning Cable (6 feet) if you prefer a right-angle plug. While it charges a bit slower than its USB-C counterpart, it has the same sleek design, a lifetime warranty, and a convenient cable tie for easy storage.
If you’re looking for a Lightning cable with a 90-degree plug to achieve a streamlined look or minimize strain on the cable housing while your iPhone is propped up, consider the Anker USB-A to 90-Degree Lightning Cable (6 feet). It’s MFi-certified, ensuring compatibility, and backed by a lifetime warranty.
The sturdy housings are designed to prevent breakage, and their rounded edges offer comfortable handling during plugging and unplugging. With subtle ridges for an extra-grippy texture, a slim rubber sheath, and color options in black or white, it’s a reliable choice. The included hook-and-loop cable tie adds convenience for organized storage in a bag or drawer.
- Perfect for a sleek look or reduced strain with its 90-degree plug.
- MFi-certified and backed by a lifetime warranty for reliability.
- Robust housings with rounded edges prevent breakage, and subtle ridges add grip.
- Slim, flexible rubber sheath ensures durability and comfortable handling.
- Offers color options in black or white to match user preferences.
- Includes a handy hook-and-loop cable tie for organized storage convenience.
- Like all Lightning cables for USB-A ports, it doesn’t provide the absolute fastest charge.
- It’s not as long as some alternatives in our selection.
- The Total Phase Advanced Cable Tester detected a signal-integrity error, suggesting a less-than-perfect electrical signal.
- Potential signal-integrity errors are common in many cables we’ve tested.
The best three-in-one (Lightning, Micro-USB, and USB-C) Cable: Anker PowerLine II 3-in-1 Cable
The Anker PowerLine II 3-in-1 Cable is a convenient travel companion, allowing you to charge various devices with Lightning, Micro-USB, or USB-C ports at a moderate speed. With a length of 3 feet, it’s compact and easy to coil up for storage in your bag.
If you’re looking for a versatile solution, the three-in-one Cable combines a USB-A–to–Micro-USB cable with attached Lightning and USB-C adapters. While not recommended for everyday use due to added bulk and potential fussiness, it proves handy for travel or as a backup in your desk drawer when you don’t want to carry three separate cables.
The Anker PowerLine II 3-in-1 Cable distinguishes itself from its competition. It is MFi-certified for reliable compatibility with most iPhones and Lightning-powered devices, and it boasts durability and quality, showing resilience even after more than two years of occasional testing.
Anker’s 3-in-1 Cable features the same comfortable, sleek, and easy-to-grip rubber sheath and housing styles found in other PowerLine II cables. Despite the added bulk of adapters—a USB-C plug and a Lightning plug connected by 2-inch-long rubber tethers—the 3-in-1 Cable maintains a slim profile, making it easy to coil up and store in a bag. The adapters are user-friendly, offering easy plugging and unplugging, with a secure connection once attached.
Available in black or white, the 3-in-1 Cable is backed by Anker’s lifetime warranty. Our Cable, used extensively on various trips over the past three years, remains in perfect working order.
- The 3-in-1 Cable features the same comfortable, sleek, and easy-to-grip rubber sheath and housing styles found in other PowerLine II cables.
- Despite the added bulk of adapters, it maintains a slim profile that’s easy to coil up and store in a bag.
- The adapters, including a USB-C plug and a Lightning plug, are easy to plug and unplug, staying firmly in place once connected.
- Available in both black and white color options.
- Backed by Anker’s lifetime warranty.
- After extensive use over the past three years, the Cable remains in perfect working order.
- Available in only one length, limiting options, but given its travel-oriented design, a longer cable might be impractical.
- When tested with the Total Phase Advanced Cable Tester, the Cable produced a DC-resistance error, although it should not significantly impact performance.
- The 3-in-1 Cable lacks a hook-and-loop cable tie for convenient storage.
- It doesn’t charge Lightning-powered devices as quickly as our top picks.
Choosing the best iPhone charging cable involves considering factors like durability, length, and MFi certification. Among the top picks, the Anker USB-C to 90-Degree Lightning Cable stands out for its efficient charging, sleek design, and lifetime warranty, especially suitable for those who prefer a right-angle plug. Remember that your charging cables’ longevity also depends on how you use them.
To extend the lifespan of your Lightning cable and minimize environmental impact, it’s crucial to handle it with care. When disconnecting the cable from a USB port, always grasp the plug housing rather than the cable itself. This practice helps reduce pressure on the area where the cable and plug meet, preventing potential damage and ensuring the cable lasts longer before replacement is necessary. By adopting these simple habits, you contribute to responsibly using and preserving your Lightning cable.